Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 24 minutes | Makes 12 empanadas
1 cup boneless, skinless rotisserie chicken breast meat, chopped finely
¼ cup salsa verde
²⁄₃ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 purchased refrigerated pie crusts, from a minimum 14.1-ounce box
1 large egg
2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the air fryer oven to 350ºF (177ºC) and spritz with cooking spray.
- Combine the chicken meat, salsa verde, Cheddar, cumin, and black pepper
in a large bowl. Stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Unfold the pie crusts on a clean work surface, then use a large cookie cutter
to cut out 3½-inch circles as much as possible.
- Roll the remaining crusts to a ball and flatten into a circle which has the
same thickness of the original crust. Cut out more 3½-inch circles until you
have 12 circles in total.
- Make the empanadas: Divide the chicken mixture in the middle of each
circle, about 1½ tablespoons each. Dab the edges of the circle with water.
Fold the circle in half over the filling to shape like a half-moon and press to
seal, or you can press with a fork.
- Whisk the egg with water in a small bowl.
- Arrange six of the empanadas in the preheated air fryer oven and spritz with
cooking spray. Brush with whisked egg. Air fry for 12 minutes or until
golden and crispy. Flip the empanadas halfway through..
- Serve immediately.